6 Tips for staying on track when you work from home.
Working from home has many advantages but it can also be a challenge if you aren’t careful to maintain discipline. It’s easy to lose focus and get sidetracked with domestic chores, personal errands and interruptions from family and friends.
Here are some tips to help you stay on track when working from home:
- Designate one area in your home as your work space. Even if you don’t have a separate room for your office, pick a corner to work in and don’t use that space for anything else. Keep all of your files and supplies in that one place. Not only will you be more organized and productive but your mindset changes when you know “this is where I work”.
- Make it clear to family and friends that you are not available to chat during work hours. Those who don’t work from home have trouble understanding that just because you are not “at work” you are working and you need to remind them that you do have “a job” even if it’s home-based.
- While working from home allows you some flexibility, you will be more productive if you make a work schedule and stick with it. Particularly if you are prone to procrastinate, it’s vital that you chart your tasks. If you aren’t sure how to organize your time, start keeping a journal of what you do each day. This will enable you to look back and evaluate how you are spending your time.
- Delegate. Don’t try to do everything yourself. Do the work you are best at and enjoy. You will be overwhelmed if you try to do it all and you’ll find yourself spinning your wheels. Outsource the tasks that you don’t want to do yourself. You may think you can’t afford it but by focusing on the areas you do best, you will make more money because you will be more productive.
- Get out of the house for a bit every day. Working at home can be lonely. Schedule lunch dates with other entrepreneurs. You’ll avoid the feeling of isolation and enjoy the stimulation of conversation with work-at-home friends.
- Join a mastermind group. Having regular meetings in person or by phone will keep you accountable, inspired and motivated to reach your goals.
I’d love to hear about what challenges have you found in working from home. As always, you are invited and encouraged to comment below.